Sunday, March 3, 2013

February

February is not a favourite month of ours. The temperatures range from minus figures into double figures from one weekend to the next, but some how we've done lots of bike related stuff.
Clean Machines.  Blue sky and 10 degrees in February!


  Luckily we managed to get out for a ride be it a problem one. We decided to make our first stop a fuel stop which was only 5 minutes away from home.
We both brimmed the fuel tanks and went into pay, after waiting in line for 5 minutes for a lady who was doing her weeks shopping in the petrol station, grrrr! we came out to find Col's new bike stood in a damp patch of petrol. Thinking he had over filled it he moved it to the far side of the forecourt and waited for me to ride over. As I arrived I could see the fuel dripping out from underneath the fairing. We checked inside the tank nothing seemed wrong there but noticed the problem stopped as soon as the bike was up straight. He didn't really want to ride any distance with the fuel dripping as bad as it was so suggested we went to the shop where he bought it and got them to fix it, so we did. I left a good distance between us, just in case Col and  the Fireblade turned into Coal and a fireball after all I didn't want to melt my bikes plastic fairing!
 Luckily the guys at the shop found the problem and had him back on the road in about 30 minutes. A breather pipe had somehow been left unattached when it was last serviced. 
  Something interesting came to light when this problem arrived, the Honda Fireblade of 2004 has a dummy tank. The painted part that you see is just a plastic cover and the main petrol tank is a hinged smaller metal tank that hides underneath, which can be tilted back towards the seat to gain access to the rear of the engine below, we thought this a neat idea.

 The R1 didn't get away with out any problems on that same ride. I noticed that when it started it couldn't tick over without stalling, so the following weekend I lifted the tank to discover the bar that controls the air intakes had seized. I squirted some WD40 around all the contact areas and free'd it up and the problem seemed better. I am not entirely convinced the problem is gone completely however the bike will start and run without my help. Also I noticed during that sunny ride out my chain was clonking and on closer inspection I found some of the links had seized up, so it needed replacing. I decided that a gold and black chain would look nice and D.I.D. made just what I was after so the following weekend our bike mechanic mate Mark fitted it for me, and it looks great cheers Mark!




 So what is the life expectancy of a Motorbike chain?

 The owners manual doesn't give a specific mileage, it says, Check the drive chain for slack and rear wheel alignment and re oil after every 1000km or after washing or rain. (Thats a lot of checking when you live in the UK it rains a lot)
 Owners clubs seem to suggest 15000km-25000km or around 17000 miles but mine the original D.I.D fitted by Yamaha had done exactly 30000 miles so it has lasted very well.


Honda Fireblade under seat exhaust replacement (2004).

  During a cold February Sunday morning, Col asked if I would help change his standard exhaust for a new Scorpion system.
 After opening the box and reading the instructions we guessed it was going to take a while.





The first thing that we had to do was remove the exhaust valve pulley system, the bolts had seized up on the one end, but came off with a bit of  brute force. The pulley cables can be completely removed or pushed up under the seat out of the way. Next we removed the foot peg with brake pedal attached and any bits of plastic hiding the old exhaust pipe. We removed both the seats and the whole of the plastic rear section of the bike until only the under tray was left.


Eventually the bolts that hold the exhaust on can be removed, the old exhaust pulls away with a bit of effort. Remove the old metal shielding.                                  Stick on heat shielding is then stuck over the underside of the under tray. 

The new exhaust can now be assembled starting from the engine end of the bike pushing into position until the end can is in place. Lining up the end can takes a few attempts, then bolt it into position.
 Remove the silver covers either side so the Scorpion logo can be seen, then reassemble the bike.
 It took us just over 2 hours, but we learnt a lot about the an area of the bikes we wouldn't normally see. An interesting mornings work.  
See the video below to see how it sounds.



 Finally.

 The 2013 motorbike racing season has started with the World Superbikes race from Philip Island. Somehow Rich has managed to claim 1st place in the fantasy league, this will be short lived I am sure, unfortunately the next round will be in April which seems a long time away.
Previous Post
Next Post

0 comments: